Descrição do produto
There’s always a place for a large, detailed reference book that covers everything you might possibly want to know about the English language. But there’s a place too for a small book that presents the basic points in a way that is short, simple and easy to remember. That is how Peter Harvey’s Pearls of the English Language differs from his A Guide to English Language Usage. Each of its short articles, averaging about 70 words each and many of them with illustrations, covers a specific point in a way that is intended to be striking and easy to remember.
How to write dates, when to double consonants, how to use ‘have’, verb tenses and forms, the use of capital letters, irregular plurals, the English names of chess pieces, ‘any-’ forms, rise and raise – these and many more tricky points of language usage are presented concisely and accurately.
Pearls of the English Language cannot include all the details and exceptions and it is not intended to do so. What it does, and does well, is give enough facts to jog a memory that can’t always remember all the basic information. It would also make an excellent last-minute revision tool before an exam, when basic knowledge has to be crammed into the memory.
The Pearls contrast with and complement the detailed descriptions contained in A Guide to English Language Usage, also by Peter Harvey.
This Kindle edition has been prepared using Kindle Text Book Creator.
* Amazon describe it as a replica or facsimile edition, but it is in fact a completely separate presentation of the text, optimised for electronic viewing.
* The requirements for preparation, maintaining the format and phonetic symbols, mean that it is prepared from a pdf file and is displayed page by page. It cannot be viewed on Kindle e-ink devices such as Paperwhite.
* It can be viewed on Kindle Fire, Android and Apple devices.
* The book contains hyperlinks for cross references. These do not function on Apple devices. This is Amazon’s decision. It has nothing to do with Lavengro Books. The links do not work in downloaded samples (understandably). On Android and Kindle Fire devices the links work properly but are underlined in red. Again, this is Amazon’s decision and has nothing to do with Lavengro Books. On a Microsoft PC screen the links appear normal and function properly.
* Lavengro Books is an honest and transparent publisher. We wish to have these technical limitations made clear to potential purchasers. However, the availability and functionality of Kindle editions on different devices is entirely a matter for Amazon. Lavengro Books has no liability for the accuracy of this information, which is provided for information purposes only.
Sobre o Autor
I enjoy explaining the English language to people who want to learn it and am pleased to reach a wider audience through my books.